Sottolineature pescate qua e la quando capita

giovedì 19 marzo 2020

We Die Alone, Short Film, Review And Interview


It can be hard to meet new people and develop relationships. Each of us have our own past that we have to deal with as we try to reach out and make a connection. Not every relationship has a fairytale ending, no matter how hard we try to make it right.

We Die Alone is a well-paced horror short that provides the twist of the dagger that gives it the extra punch at the end.

I saw We Die Alone at the 2019 FilmQuest film festival (website).The film was nominated for Best Director (Marc Cartwright), Best Actor (Baker Chase Powell), and Best Supporting Actress (Samantha Boscarino one of two nominees). It also won for Best Horror Short and Best Supporting Actress (Ashley Jones).

I recommend We Die Alone for those who enjoy a good twist ending. It not a happy one because it is a horror story, but it gives a solid delivery and leaves you thinking about what you've gone through.

Synopsis: A chance encounter dangerously intertwines the lives of three people with differing perspectives on love.

Marc Cartwright shares what inspired his making of We Die Alone along with his inspiration for becoming a filmmaker. He also talks about what he is working on and what he likes to do when not making movies.

What was the inspiration behind creating We Die Alone?

I first got the idea for We Die Alone while on a hike in Los Angeles. The park wasn't overly crowded, but this was obviously a popular time to visit this particular trail. I studied the other hikers taking in the temporary escape from the city. Sometimes they offered a courtesy smile of their eyes met another person's, but mostly they ignored each other.

I began to think about interpersonal relationships and all of the missed connections that must occur by people not truly acknowledging the opportunities right in front of them. I believe everyone desires love or validation on some level and I enjoy mulling over the challenges in finding successful romantic relationships. For some, finding a partner is effortless, while others find it nearly impossible. I also believe that a person's ability or inability to find connection is a choice—whether conscious or subconscious.

We Die Alone is my way of touching upon the consequences of standing in our won way when attempting to build authentic romantic connections. Inspired by Alfred Hitchcock and his manner of discussing reality with a tragic twist, I felt this film would be best told in the dramatic thriller genre. I'm very proud of this movie. My goal was to make a film that not only takes people by surprise, but also leaves them thinking about the ways in which they connect to others.

 

What project(s) do you have coming up you're excited about?

Currently, my producing partner Baker Chase Powell and I are developing a feature. I am also developing an experimental piece I want to try out. As a filmmaker, when creating a story, one can sometimes get stuck in thinking about how it's going to be received or if it makes sense. I want to step out of that box and see what happens.

What was your early inspiration for pursuing a career in film?

My aunt was a huge film buff. When I was a child, she would take me to all the movies and theaters became my second home. I was always fascinated and at the time wanted to be an actor.

Eventually my grandfather bought me a video camera that I would use to record myself performing. Using that camera, I started capturing moments around the house and with family, knowing that I would look back on the footage and be nostalgic. I was a weird child.

Being behind the camera led to me being more interested in telling the story. Sine filmmaking was expensive at the time, I started out with photography. Once shooting digitally became a possibility, I was able to really explore and fall further in love with filmmaking.

What would be your dream project?

There is a specific time in my childhood that I want to make a film about. My dream is to use all of the actual homes and locations where the story unfolded during that time period. It's a haunting that I experienced and two of the main houses are still standing. We don't currently have access to them but that's something that I would like to pursue.

What are some of your favorite pastimes when not working on a movie?

Photography. I also like to explore other small towns around California. Being a Los Angeles resident driving isn't always the most pleasurable experience, but once I leave the boundaries of the city, I love being out in nature and in simpler places.

What is one of your favorite movies and why?

I have so many favorites in different genres. Two films that inspire me are The Shining and Rosemary's Baby. I love psychological thrillers and these two definitely fall in line with the types of film I am inspired to create.

One of my favorite directors is Darren Aronofsky. I enjoy characters with a spiraling internal struggle to be seen and have stability.

My ALL time favorite is the original Clash of the Titans (1981). I recorded it from HBO back in the 80s [and] wore out the VHS, watching it a zillion times and then bought the DVD. The nostalgia, the fantasy, the characters, the horrible CGI, it was amazing.

You can find out more about We Die Alone on IMDb (link).

I'm working at keeping my material free of subscription charges by supplementing costs by being an Amazon Associate and having advertising appear. I earn a fee when people make purchases of qualified products from Amazon when they enter the site from a link on Guild Master Gaming and when people click on an ad. If you do either, thank you.

If you have a comment, suggestion, or critique please leave a comment here or send an email to guildmastergaming@gmail.com.

I have articles being published by others and you can find most of them on Guild Master Gaming on Facebookand Twitter(@GuildMstrGmng).


Lettori fissi

Archivio blog